Saturday, August 2, 2014

Stories of life.

We've been gone up to Virginia to visit family.
I needed to check in with my mother who just turned 86, see my kids and pinch a few babies.
You know the drill.
It went way to fast.
Then I came home and needed to sleep.
I went to bed the first night home, woke up at 7, looked at Mark and went back to bed only to get up the second round at 9.
I never sleep that much unless I have been out all night or up helping with babies.
this is one of our places that we go grab a beer and just let the water wash our sorrows away.
 
On the school front.
I am going back.
I told them I would stay until they hired the right person for the job. It seems that applications will open again and hopefully this round will give them who they want.
Meanwhile, in 2 weeks I will be back to 3 days a week. They asked if I wanted 5 and I laughed.
Instead I called the person who had taught part time in the past and we worked out the week together. I'll take MTW while she does the Thursday/Friday students.
There will be an overlap with first year and second year students mixed into one class.
I am interested to see how the overflow works.
I am up for the challenge of both.
Then again by December; I could be singing another tune.

The the view as the sun headed down.


 Today was my morning back in the kitchen.
I was making granola, bread and breakfast all at the same time.
Multitasking like a fool.
The granola came out great. I made cooked oatmeal for breakfast and it was good.
But, when I went to check the bread maker after the 2 hours set to make the dough I found this mid-size lump in the machine.
The brain goes,water,sugar, oil, salt, oats, whole wheat flour, bread flour, oats, and....and...darn, yeast.
Yeast, no yeast.
I looked up saving my bread on line and read what folks tried and thought at this point, why not. ( we love whynot... because that is what we are all about.)
I stretched out the bread and sprinkled 1 tsp. of yeast inside. I then folded it and added another tsp., then I folded and tossed in 1 more.
 I then rolled this all up and placed it in a bread bowl with some oil. I then covered the bowl and placed it in the oven for an hour and 45 minutes.
When I came back it was doing something.
I tossed it on the counter, rolled, punched and put it back.
I did it again.
At about 4 I took it out, cut a third off of it and rolled out a pizza.
We brushed it with oil, added cheese, fresh slices of tomatoes, red pepper,olives,salt, pepper, oregano, basil and tossed it in a 500 degree oven for about 8 minutes.
It was fabulous!
A save!
We added some rats and sauce for the side.
Delicious   
Just in case you don't read me on facebook here is the short story on the rats and sauce:
Oma and mommy to 4 year old, do you want to try the eggplant?
4 year old, no, I don't like eggplant.
Mommy, do you want to taste the sauce?
4 year old, no, I don't like sauce.
Opa, I'm eating rat-a- tooolaa.
4 year old, with interest, real rats?
Opa, yes.
4 year old, I want to taste.
Oma and mommy watch as 4 year old jumps with joy and asks for her own rats, on her own plate. I like rat-at-toooolaaa.
But we can't eat the tails.

The end.
M

7 comments:

Dennis Allen said...

Gorgeous sunset

Gary's third pottery blog said...

your bread dough and pizza: if you fall off your horse, get back up on there again! (my favorite saying :)

Gail said...

I just made some rats yesterday. Had it for lunch AND dinner. Result of going to Farmer's Market on Saturdy. yum!

Trish said...

Sounds pretty fantastic on all counts. :). Great day to you, Meredith!. T.

cookingwithgas said...

I love me some rats! I have some waiting to grill....

Claudia from Idiot's Kitchen said...

Good for you for rescuing the dough! Love me some rats too.

Lori Buff said...

What a sweet story. It sounds like you all had a wonderful vacation.