Monday, January 15, 2018

Working in the cold

It's cold and there is no good way to get the studio completely warm.
We can get it warm enough, just enough.
When we rebuilt the studio we did not plan well enough on the heat for the rooms.
The large room we work mainly in has a wall space heater that has a hard time keeping the room as warm as we like. The best way to help is to layer up.

We don't usually have weather that is this cold for long periods of a time so there are other tricks that we need to use to make sure that pots don't dry too fast. It is not beneficial to have pots that are too dry to trim or handle.
There are always plenty of tasks that need taking care of to set aside January as a month to clean, prep, work on the house, go take a lunch. There are many times that getting away can be hard for us to do. Making January a good time to take some much needed mental health days.
Usually we like a walk in the woods, a road less traveled, but this weather is making those walks not the top on my list.
I had hope that I could walk daily this month, I am off my mark.
I have never been a mall walker but I just might become one if the weather stays around.

These crocks are a customer favorite for the kitchen, they get filled with all those cooking spoons, whisks, and such that you need close at hand for cooking.
I have two in my kitchen, one this size and one smaller one.
They are simple, straight sided, not too fancy, just full of use.
I can't imagine not having one close at hand.

Do you have some favorite items in your kitchen.
( I am trying to distract myself from the cold)
m

4 comments:

Michèle Hastings said...

I am reading and commenting on blogs as a way to avoid going out to work in a chilly studio. We were so unprepared for this cold winter. We were spoiled the last two years.
My favorite kitchen item is probably an oil cruet that Jeff made years ago. I also couldn't live without a couple of crocks on the counter for those most used utensils.
Stay warm!

Laurie said...

Oh, I have so many favorites in the kitchen, I may be just a little weird :o). Most of my favorites are pottery... mugs, tumblers, plates, cereal bowl, batter bowl. But then I also have favorite spoons, knives, and wine glasses. I've been getting walks in as I can, but not daily here either.

Barbara Rogers said...

I'm in love with spoon rests, thrown perfectly round but with that little dip along the edge. They have become saucers all over my house, for cans of soft drinks, coffee or tea cups, glasses, whatever. And of course one sits on the stove for spoons while being used!

cookingwithgas said...

Seems like we all have the same needs for the useful kitchen items. Nice this afetrnoon, but heading to cold, possible snow this week- then back to warm...