Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Testing out Ms. B

We are still working on the ends and outs and all abouts of the small gas kiln, Ms. B
She has her moments and produces some decent pots in and around the kiln. In fact there are more good ones than bad ones.
The questions is, "what is a bad pot?'
The very bottom shelf just does not reach the same temperature as the rest of the kiln. Mark is able to get a good 10 at the top, but no more then an 8 at the bottom. With that in mind we went for some test in the bottom of the kiln just to see how that would do.

This test was a cone 10 glaze with a six used together to see how the two would work. There are properties that I like about this and possibilities to work through. We plan to do some research into cone 8 glazes to see what we can come up with.

On the top of the kiln we had some of the new vases that I have been carving. These are in B-mix, a nice white stoneware. I see possibilities to explore with these as well. They still look like some really fancy drinking vessels and I guess that would be alright too. I do like the way Mark has cut the feet on these.


Just more things to expore all the time.

On the teaching front.
I had my last day for the summer session on Monday. Kilns fired, unloaded, students picking up work, clean up and paperwork.
I have been asked to stay while they are hiring the new instructor. I said yes. I'm looking forward to continuing with the students from the summer session, along with the new students that will be enrolling.  
I have some time off before I go back for the fall and the routine of being here, catching up, seeing family and working on my own pots will be a priority.

There are more pictures coming from Ms. B, we'll let you be the judge on results.

10 comments:

Shortstuff said...

I like those new vases.

cookingwithgas said...

Thanks- they are purty as a newborn kitten.

Unknown said...

The bottom shelf test pot looks like a whole new and very nice product line :) . And of course the vases are beautiful... Ms. B may be warming up to y'all :)

cookingwithgas said...

We are getting their Richard. I'm always leary of getting cozy with a snake.....She has her ways.

cookingwithgas said...

Whoops, call the grammar police, quick! We are getting there.

Gary's third pottery blog said...

oh GOODNESS I looooooovvvvve the decorations you paint on there...

Lori Buff said...

Test tiles are very useful but nothing shows the full picture of what a glaze combo is likely to do than a test pot or two. I do like the way the glazes look, it seems like you all are on the right track.

Gail said...

I really like that test glaze. Also the shape of that "pot" or vase or whatever you want to call it.

cookingwithgas said...

Thank you, we're pleased and hope to try more.

Claudia from Idiot's Kitchen said...

If the results are anything like these 2 pots, I'd say you're on the right track! Enjoy the rest of your summer!!!