Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Some one makes pots around here.

 I came home to these sweet jars the other day. Mark has been busy making pots on the days I am working. I love a good round jar and these are pretty great.

We hope to get another firing in soon but it seems as always that there are a few obstacles to jump over to make that happen.
First I must stop gazing out of windows;  looking at the reflections in the pond.

Second, I need the prefect, warm days of sunshine, that keep calling me to walk out the door and explore the beauty around me to slowly, slowly fade away.......(not really)....

Then I need to be able to work 24/7 just to get done those things that need to be done,done.

Third....I need to not run off on my day off to see a great little play called, "Love Letters" directed by one of my students.
Fantastic job, I loved this play.

And, then there is that baby pinching that must be done.
It is in my job description.

My favorite student question this week, help me out.

Can I take this raku pot and put a cone 04 glaze on it and fire it again so it will hold water and be shinny?

I will take any and all answers.
Go.


14 comments:

Gary's third pottery blog said...

OH THE landscape and colors, mmmmm :) I love round jars too....

Judy Shreve said...

Your days seem just full of so many wonderful things . . . babies, gorgeous landscapes, round jars . .

As every teacher (in pottery) always said -- 'try and see what happens.' (sort of a zen response - but you never know)

Tracey Broome said...

You live on a little piece of heaven!
Raku question, nope, the electric firing will take away all the great gifts from the raku.... I would just brush on an acrylic sealer from the hardware store, or better yet make another pot and put a cone 6 glaze on it.....

Dennis Allen said...

No, an 04 glaze probably wouldn't be waterproof for long if put on a freshly bisqued pot. Whether it was naked or glazed anything on that raku pot is going to interact with the new glaze.I'd let them try it in a saggar in case it spits all over but it's an experiment.I'm with Tracey about just adding some acrylic sealer as the best alternative

smartcat said...

Acrylic sealer definitely. All the raku effect will go at 04. From my long ago days of raku memory, the clay used it high fire and therefor stays open at raku temp. An 04 glaze will not make it waterproof; a low fire clay id needed for that.
Those are some lovely plump pots There's something about the form that so seductive.
Keep pinching those babies!

Lori Buff said...

More on the raku question. Would the clay be vitrified after the ^04 firing?
Yes, the pot would loose all it’s raku magic so sealing it is about the only answer I can figure.

DirtKicker Pottery said...

I find that I'm holding on to every bit of Fall too. We've been blessed with weeks of 70° weather and the forecast says that's about to change.

The jars are indeed sweet ;)

Michèle Hastings said...

and I missed all that baby pinching :-(
... next time I will set my alarm.

this weather is fantastic - great for working, but also distracting!

cookingwithgas said...

We went with sealer. I'm loving this fall weather.

cookingwithgas said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Claudia from Idiot's Kitchen said...

Good grief, I'd get nothing done if I had that view! Those round jars are lovely. Glad you're enjoying a beautiful fall. We're supposed to get a "cold front" this weekend so I'm excited that we might get to turn off the AC and eat out on the patio. Life in Florida is weird.

Sandy Miller said...

Wow do you live in pretty place! Fall is just the best! It's like Mother Nature can't stop putting on jewelry :)

Man those pots are the bomb!

Raku clay ..... So pourous, sealer would be my bet.

Peter said...

The photo of the pond is lovely, I do like the way the building peeps through the gap in the trees and there is the reflection of it in the water. If a French Impressionist painter had traveled to your part of the world, I think he would have pitched his easel in exactly the same spot that you took the photo!

cookingwithgas said...

It is lovely to look at, stops me from getting things done.