Thursday, January 30, 2014

Why it is hard to work in January

 I know, I know, some of you have to get up, get dressed, get in  a car and get to your jobs, on time.
I know all I have to do is get dressed, walk across the yard and I am at work.

The weather has other plans for us all this year. I think the weather is telling us all to slow down, take a break, look around, pay some attention to me.

There are many things in life that humans can not control and this is one of them.

For yesterday's snow day I baked bread. One loaf for us and one loaf for a friend who is going to trade me for some real cheese. Not the stuff that passes for cheese in the grocery store, but real, made on a farm, cheese.
I think I am getting the better deal and so does she. Win!

 As I was baking yesterday this was the view out the kitchen window. Usually I am the person who wants to go walk in the snow. This time, not so much. Not a lot of snow and it is just plain cold out there.
Yesterday was a perfect excuse to plug away on last year's taxes. Paper work day! I usually hate to give up a day to the paper, but when it is this cold I'll take it.
The only problem I have is we have a deadline to meet and everyday away from the studio puts me a day behind.
If left to me we would all take January off. We would sit and read books, drink tea or coffee, unplug and dream. We would hibernate like bears.
Then we would come out and be hungry for life.
Ravenous!
We would shake off the cobwebs and work like demons for the rest of the year. 

Mark did come and get me from my basement cave to walk up and get the mail.

Dismal, bleak, and yet, charming a moment in life.


We are off to a slow start this morning, waiting to see if we can heat the studio enough to do any work at all.
I think for me that I could roll some tiles and call it a day.

Keep the home fire burning.
M

18 comments:

Tracey Broome said...

It's 5 degrees here, tea and a good book for me today, I am definitely in the slow down and look around mode and I like it!

Michèle Hastings said...

We have too many deadlines to meet and the cold has definitely put us behind. It takes so long to get the studio warm enough to work in. It will all work out in the end and I hear warmer weather is coming this weekend!

cookingwithgas said...

I am ready for something over 30 degrees. TB- I have a book I need to finish.

klineola said...

I'm so glad to hear that it's not just me! My wife and I joked that we will just home school for the rest of the winter. The snow day cancellations are holding our work at home business hostage! With day to day closings its very hard to make a plan.

I talked with CO potter, Elizabeth Robinson last night and she says she has given up on trying to get pottery work done in January. She says that she is getting other things done, just like you have mentioned, spending time with her kids, doing her taxes, marketing, paperwork kind of things, etc.

Yielding to the cold makes sense for people who work with moisture. I'd crank up the heat , but that can be expensive.

So, thank you for this affirmation to hunker down and go slow for a while. THings will pick up the pace soon enough.

Summer is coming, as they say.

cookingwithgas said...

Hey MK- so very true!
Then we can come out like those hungry bears. It is so hard to tell customers that we are as subjected to the weather as anyone, if not more. The problem is that nagging voice, you are not working....shut up, be quiet, I know.

smalltownme said...

That bread is beautiful.

Laurie said...

Are we ever keeping the fires burning... the phone said it was 2 here this morning!! Cheese?

Dennis Allen said...

We may see 30F today so it is heading your way soon. Beautiful bread.

Linda Starr said...

those loaves look beautiful and your views are so different with the snow on the ground

Gary's third pottery blog said...

OH wow, the bread, the pond, OH wow oh wow, beautiful :)

cookingwithgas said...

The bread is such an easy recipe.
This is one that came from another potter. It is a keeper for sure.

Laurie, good cheese!

Peter said...

Lovely photos, and I'm glad that you can enjoy looking at some of the outside world from the warmth of your kitchen! I know what you mean about paperwork.... grrrr! It always seems so silly having to give up days to sorting out tax stuff, when you could be actually making things to sell! I love the smell of baking bread, and I see that cold weather does seem to inspire great baking in the potting world!

Becky Brown said...

What a great reminder that these "no school" days are a sign that we need respite ...

Gail said...

Bread looks yummy. I hope when I next see you, there will be bread!

cookingwithgas said...

Hi peter and Cha Cha maybe winter is here to make us slow the heck down.
And Gail, we can make that happen.

Claudia from Idiot's Kitchen said...

Good grief that bread is glorious! I have to start working on the taxes too. It's the pre-tax taming of the receipts that I put off every year. Ugh.

cookingwithgas said...

The taming of the taxes, I like it.

Suburban Correspondent said...

I, too, think we should all be allowed to essentially hibernate in January. That is what it is FOR, for heaven's sake.