Sunday, February 7, 2016

My life away from home

On Saturday we had a great workshop at the school with Hal and Eleanor Pugh from New Salem Pottery. 
It was very informal, with a lot of good solid information for the students.
In the afternoon we were able try our own hands at slip decorating.





Of course I had to try my hand at some of the slip trailing as well, It made me think about how I could use this on some tiles.
The number one thing you learn when watching someone who has been working as a potter for 40 years is this is not a overnight success. There are many hours that go into learning to make and produce a body of work to sell. It was interesting to listen to how they moved from Salt ware to Earthenware and the path that has taken them on.
One of the things I try to tell the students when they want to try something is to remember that the person who is working in that tradition or style might have been doing so for 5 to 50 years. That no matter what you decide to do you must be willing to go there.
 Willing to lose as well as win.
Clay can be so forgiving, but it can also been the beast in the room.
My thoughts have alsways been, "what are you willing to chase"?


6 comments:

Dennis Allen said...

Pottery, music, brain surgery, the folks who have put in thousands of hours of work make it look easy.( it's not )

Barbara Rogers said...

At one point I had an "attitude" about the old ways of decorating pots. No longer! They show incredible endurance and a culmination of traditions into what is still being practiced today by some potters.

smartcat said...

What a neat workshop! What I love and adore about clay is that there is always something new to discover!

Thanks for the muffin recipe.

Lori Buff said...

Instant success is nowhere near as fun as the journey of practice and learning.

DirtKicker Pottery said...

Looks like a fun workshop.
My brother was very humbled when he first came to my studio to learn how to throw. In his mind, if his little sis could do it, he could do it better and faster. His confidence got a dose of reality real fast.

It takes time and commitment to the craft.
:)

cookingwithgas said...

How true!