Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Just the other

 day I walked in our small gallery and took some quick pictures of the inside.
This is our insides.
I posted this on FB along with a couple of more pictures of the inside and it just took off. We had over 60 shares on the pictures. It takes me by surprise what will take off and what will just sit there and not even get a second look.
It is all a puzzle to me this media/internet/marking/tools that we need to use these days to get our work out and noticed.

How's that working for us?
Good question.
I am not sure it is.

 I posted this one cut down to take out the family pictures.
It was a post called  shared space.
It did get some nice buzz, but not 60 shares.
This is where I look in the mornings as I am having my cup of coffee. It makes me think of those spaces in our houses that make us happy.
There is a vase out of the last kiln filled with flowers that were given to me a few years back out of my sister's garden. Hers are pink, mine come up white with a bit of pink. There is a small jug from Hannah from the visit she made to the sates. A few wee jugs from the Sandford Coles, a miniature scene of a kitchen and one of Tracey's houses.
Behind that is a floor cloth made by my sister Lee.
Happiness comes in many forms.

   To the right---I posted this on the same group that made the 60 shares  and before it went up I thought I hate all those price stickers. My next thought was let  it go. We forget how important it is to let people know our work is for sale.

What's up on the school front?
Let's just say all things come to an end.
I will be filling in some classes but do not have a class of my own.
It has been an interested time for me. I am still trying to digest it all.
I am giving the words, if not this, something else, a try.
Let's see what that does for me.



These guys come back every year. I always love to see them come up.
Spring is amazing.

Let's keep in touch. I hope that for some of us the written thought will still be important.
Cheers!
M

10 comments:

Peter said...

Hi Meredith,
I don't understand social media at all, with all the "likes" and "shares". I read somewhere that a recent study by Microsoft revealed that the human attention span has now shrunk to about 8 seconds! I am very pleased to have multiplied my 8 seconds worth to become several minutes, as this is a lovely post of yours, and I am enjoying spending time with it! I love your gallery, and the way you have evolved solutions to display problems, such as how to display tiles, small things, and large pots. You haven't cluttered the floor with plinths and things to fall over, but there is lots to see on the shelves around the walls. It also feels a personal, warm, and special space which must help people visualize how the work would look in their own homes! I had better stop now as this is already too much to read in 8 seconds! Px

Laurie said...

I have to agree. Though I don't know what makes a photo stand out, the one of your "insides" is one of those. Maybe some day we'll figure out the secret. I love the cheer that spring brings.

cookingwithgas said...

Thanks Peter.
Here's my hope.
People get a little tired of f.b. and come back to reading blogs.
Real words.
I've been lazy about my own blog while I was teaching. I'm thinking about breathing life back into it.
Please take all the time you want.
M

cookingwithgas said...

Hi laurie. I know! No real reason, just off it goes.....
I'm enjoying this spring weather.

smartcat said...

I think I was one of those likes!
When you have been following a work schedule for a time, it feels odd when you are no longer bound by it. 'Gosh I don't have to rush out the door and drink my beverage in the car. I can actually sit and look at the world for a few minutes!'
I have become very lazy about my blog, but I think I have figured out why. Going to do a post about it today!

Tracey Broome said...

As you know, I have never done Facebook, so I have no idea what you are talking about:)
But I do love a good blog post! Its too bad there isn't a smell app for computers, I love the way your little shop smells, just like a great Seagrove pottery shop should.
Life's changes help us grow, I would say you and I are still a growing!

hootowlkarma said...

Your words are powerful, Meredith. As I read your post, I thought of the special little spaces to which I retreat, and from which I speak; I thought of you and your pottery; I thought of Neolia and her pottery; I thought of family pictures and of my boys and my parents and my one true love and her parents; I thought of my brother and sisters and the joys we've shared, some of them right there in Seagrove in your little shop; and I thought of the eternal cycles of this thing we call life. Just as the bumblebee finds nourishment in your precious iris again this spring, growing right there where they should be, we find inspiration and nourishment in your thoughts and musings, so freely shared from your "insides", right there where you should be... Thank you.

cookingwithgas said...

Jimmy, thank you, thank you and thank you.
Yes, it's all so true.

cookingwithgas said...

Tb, May we always be willing to grow.

Gary's third pottery blog said...

I am not sure people will come back to reading blogs, it is true that many now read only the briefest things (like on fb). But I like to see what you have here :)