Tuesday, May 12, 2009

What am I working on?




I promise I am still playing in some clay.
It does not seem that way in the past month, but I still have my hands in the mud.

Last winter my sister from Raleigh asked me to work on a tile project for one of her customers.
I jumped at the chance to work with her.
We had talked several times about working on something together and this would give us that chance.

She will be doing all the art work for the tiles and I will be making and transferring her art work into clay.


The past week plus I have been carving tiles to work out how I will do the design. This also will give me tiles I will be able to use to test the glazes on.
I have done a lot of glaze testing on small one inch tiles to work out the colors we would like to use. I am now at the point where I need to see if the colors work as well when used on something larger.

I am at the point where the tiles need to dry completely out. This should put me back on the wheel and then back to the tiles after a gas firing.








This was the first tiles for test and we thought they were fun put together- long
legs!

6 comments:

Laurie said...

Neat tiles! And a belated Happy Anniversary!

Shortstuff said...

Oh, yeah. Looking good. I'm glad I have talented artistic sisters. Makes it easy to give gifts!

Linda Starr said...

Oh my, your giraff is wonderful, such beautiful carving. I don't know where you find the time for all you do. Can't wait to see this project glazed. Will these be mounted on a wall or floor; what type of clay do you use for this?

cookingwithgas said...

Hi Linda- this will become a backsplash for a kitchen. I am using a cone six body from highwater clays out of asheville nc- these are just my test the real piece will be quite large.

Anonymous said...

totally cool project... nice drawings too

Barbara said...

Somehow I missed these and glad I scrolled down to find them. The designs and carving together look so flowing and tactile. Really, I just want to touch them. Great project. How do you dry the tiles?