Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Tuesday, Right?

No, it's Wednesday I just looked on my little calendar on the right hand side of my computer.
Do you think that could possible be correct?
Maybe I have jumped a time zone.

As you can see I am behind on my duties to pass on the award.
I am still thinking about it, not.
Really I am thinking it is just a really busy week for us.
Last week I followed Mark up to the corner so he could bush hog the pasture where the corner sign is for all the potters who live on our road.

When we opened in 1982 we were the only ones down here. Then as others opened we realized it would be beneficial to have a group sign. So we did.

In the 30 years we have been through two designs for the sign.
One held just 4 of us and we all had a space side by side 2 on one side 2 on the other... I wish I had a picture, that looked good.
Then we had more potters, some have closed now, and some new ones have taken their place, and we needed a bigger sign.
A few years back, about 4, the owner of the property past away and we were waiting to see who might buy the property.
We finally decided to go ahead and talk with the lawyer who is handling the property and get permission to repair and replace.
And that is where Tuesday morning went.


 I painted the bottom while Mark did all the top work.
Next we need everyone to order new signs to replace the old, gun shot ones.
( they are too tempting...not to be shot at at least once, if not twice..)
We are also glazing for the big kiln and you know how much work that is.
If you remember the last round we had a batch of cold wax, Forbes, that did not work for us and we ended up setting some pots aside.
Well here is what they looked like today:
No, this post is not wearing a skirt


See how nice the bottle next to me is with the right wax?
The plan is to dry scrub off the glaze and wax, glaze the bottoms again and then using the good wax, wax before we top glaze with the wood ash.
A bit of work but less work then is we washed the pots and allowed them to dry. We did that with the smaller pieces.
But- we did not want to risk trying to wash these and have something happen to them, like bumping them wrong.

On that note, Tracey, I had a pot I was holding and sanding, yes, I was wearing a mask, and while I was admiring the new stamping pattern  I had used and was thinking about how to glaze it I just dropped it.
( insert *&%%##$ your own word here)
Gone so quick I hardly had time to think about it.
Made me almost laugh, almost!
It did make me think about Tracey's theory on pots you really like and how they know it so they blow up or jump right out of your hand.
Again forgive me the 10 bloggers I just have to get back to you on that.
Cheers,
M


8 comments:

Tracey Broome said...

Shhhh... you can't tell them you like them until they are sitting on a shelf in someone else's house!
That poor old sign, I have been looking for that thing for years to know where I am in Seagrove :)

Quietly Otaku said...

Sounds like theres a lot going on! Sign looks great bit scary that people shoot at it!

Michèle Hastings said...

the sign is looking good!

sorry the wax mishap is such a time suck. at least you didn't have to put them back in the bisque kiln to melt it off.. (i have had to do that with hot wax splashes before).

cookingwithgas said...

this sign really needed some help and yes, it has some shots in it- right through and through... so do many signs around here.

Unknown said...

I think I need to try Tracey's approach too! Many a pot has jumped, slipped, banged or otherwise imploded upon admiration!!!

Julia said...

The re-painted sign looks wonderful! I hope to see it in person someday...

Linda Starr said...

Great sign, pots do know how to jump don't they.

cookingwithgas said...

Julia- come on- we have an extra bed.
And yes, pots do jump!
I think some are suicidal...sad but true.