Monday, January 28, 2019

One month down

Here we are already one month down in the new year. Where that time goes nobody knows, weather, hibernation, the lag after Christmas.
We are heading into the next month and with that we are making a few changes.
We will be closed Monday and Tuesday.
You can always get to us by email and, or phone to set up an appointment to see us. Most likely we are just here working away.


I am going back to the school to teach an extra day while we look for a new director for the Pottery program at MCC Troy NC.
It's a grand opportunity for someone who would like to teach and run the program. We have a wonderful program up and running, classes are full. We are going to add at least one more evening class, we are busy! I am sure the position will be advertised soon. When it is I will post it here.

I did just deliver about 20 tiles to a show that will open next month at the Greenhill in Greensboro.
More about that later.
Meanwhile, I have been baking bread, making granola again.
Yum, Yum.
I love this bread that was shared with me a few years back by a fellow blogger.

Cuban Bread
5-6 cups flour
2 packs dry yeast (scant 2 TBS.)
1 TBS.salt
2 TBS.sugar 
2 & 1/2 cups hot water (about 100-105 F.)

Place 4 Cups Flour in a large bowl with Yeast, Salt, and Sugar.
 Mix with a whisk to blend dry ingredients.  (I use 1 cup of whole wheat flour)
 Pour water in a large bowl or mixer, add the flour mixture about 1 cup at a time and beat 100 Strokes. (I use my kitchenaid mixer)

Add in remaining flour 1/4 Cup at a time.
 I add flour in the bowl until it gets to just this side of sticky- or is pulling away from bowl, and then I toss out and knead in more if it is too sticky.
Note: someday it takes all the flour and other days it does not.

Place dough in bowl that has been rubbed with oil, cover with towel.
 Let it rise in a warm place for 15 minutes until it is double.

Grease pans and sprinkle with cornmeal.
Boil about 2 cups of water and have ready to place in a pan on the bottom of the oven.

Punch dough down.
 Divide in two and form into loaves.
 I make rounds
 Slash the tops and spray or brush with water.

Place loaves on the middle rack of a Cold Oven.
 Turn oven to 400 F. and bake for one half hour (30 minutes).
 Reduce oven temp to 375 F,turn loaves, and bake for another 15 minutes.

Timing starts when the oven is turned on.  Interior temp should be about 215 F.

Place on rack to cool.
 This bread is made to be eaten the day it's made, but I have found that it makes excellent toast the next day and will last several days as a good slicing bread.
 We use this for sandwiches and toast.

 This has become my lazy bread it is quick and tasty. 

Cheers folks! Here comes February! 


2 comments:

smartcat said...

Busy days ahead. The new schedule should give yu some uninterrupted working time!
I still love this recipe, making a batch today.

cookingwithgas said...

OH! I think of you everytime I make it, it is easy and good! Thank you!