Saturday, October 25, 2008

Last night we had over a variety of folks for a pot luck. We had potters,an organic farmer, his wife who writes software, glass blowers, a nuclear engineer .......just a nice mix of folks. The food was great- at potlucks it always is.
I made a marinated chicken which my mother discovered years ago and it still a good one for crowds.
I cook the chicken on my large cookie sheets to get them started and Mark then grilled them to finish them off. The grill adds the best flavor and he throws in a bit of wood for some smoke.
These will freeze and make great leftovers.

Pollo Chino

2 1/2 pounds cut up chicken parts (I think wings, legs and thighs work best)
½ cup white wine
¼ cup red wine
½ cup soy sauce
1-3 cloves garlic, smashed
3 green onions or 1 small onion chopped
1- 2 TBS. chili powder
2 TBS. fresh ginger- or 1 TBS. dried
2 TBS. brown Sugar
1/2 tsp. cummin and coriander- just a pinch of cinnamon
Marinate overnight.
Remove from marinate and place on broiler pan (or grill)
Bake 375 for 10 minutes.
Then cut back to 350 for 20 minutes, Or until done.
For best flavor grill.
This is even better the day after

3 comments:

Ben Stark said...

mmmmm...looks yummy! I may have to give that one a try.

cookingwithgas said...

It is easy and I like easy.
always play with the marinade as well- I sometimes add other flavors depending on my mood- but the ginger with the chili powered is the key here.
I have used all red wine as well- the white gives a bit more mellow- oh some lemon juice about a TBSP- see I can't just follow the recipe!

M

kriips said...

man!!!! I'm so sorry we missed yet another good gathering!!! the kids had a fall carnival at school and we were busy face painting a gazillion little faces, and too tired by the end of the evening...