Anyone who’s owned a Pacifica knows about the cheap
particleboard top they used,
and may still do for all I know. The rest of the wheel is just fine - good motors, squeaky belts and all. Since we stand at our wheels rather than sit, it needed more than a slip-on splash pan to lean or brace on. I can’t even remember what the factory splash pan looked like or how it worked. I do remember that the boot around the wheel head shaft bearings was less than satisfactory. My bolt-on model, real wood mudbox features an ABS plastic liner with a drain hole and a waterproof collar for the bearings. This one’s rather large. The space is great for wet stuff though – sponges and tools etc. Because of the weight of this one (the floor is 1” plywood) we set it up on blocks and then small sections of 2” plastic pipe carry the overflow of water out to a bucket that gets emptied as soon as we can no longer stand the smell or sooner if full.
It’s not really done yet. Besides a coat of polyurethane on the wood it gets a shelf screwed across the back section where it looks like there are two compartments. On that goes a pointer device that doubles as a place to hang dry tools and a shelf to the right for the foot pedal since Meredith likes to use her hand to control speed rather than stand on one foot. I don’t really want to do too much of the detail work on it until we move into the new studio. It’s almost like a cabinet installation – things have to be situated just right. In the old studio the previous mudbox was set up with a kitchen cabinet and counter top between Meredith’s wheel and my own. We both had a window in front of us with a view across the hayfield and could keep an eye out for the occasional deer or fox and watch the hawks soar….. ……. We miss that………
Uh,.. moving on – I’m working on a mudbox for my Brent wheel. It’s a bit different because of the bearing housing and the slight fender around the perimeter of the table top. The fire heated up the plastic on my wheel and I believe that I can pull that plastic shield off and work from the steel top up. I don’t remember the name of the type of plastic they use right this minute but I know you can’t use methyl ethyl keytone products to glue it so it’s another bolt-on project. I will post progress on that most likely in January or February.