Saturday, June 20, 2009

Red Clay

When it is the end of the week and the end of a throwing/firing cycle we sometimes find ourselves not ready for "wheel work" but in need of doing something with the clay.
Now that we have a dedicated space for the slab roller one of us can get in there and make something.
Mark has not really had the time to play with the slab roller since the fire last July.
He spent Thursday and Friday working out some large wall vases.
He enjoys working on these and enjoys the "zone" of making the slabs and the stamping designs.
He puts so much detail in each vase.

These are made from Highwater's Red Stone clay body and will be fired in the electric kiln along with my tiles and some hump trays and bowls.
We have not used the new electric kiln for a glaze fire and by making these it will speed things along for me to fire the new kiln.
I bought this kiln last year just for tiles and flat ware. It is not as deep as our other electric kilns, but the width is the same.
I wanted to be able to use our same kiln shelves.
We should have enough pots after the next bisque to fire.

5 comments:

Laurie said...

Really nice wall vases! And So Long & Thanks for All the Fish was a neat story! It was great having you two out last weekend.

Linda Starr said...

Those are beautiful wall vases, I love all the texture. How will you glaze them?

Julia said...

I commend both you & Mark for the patience to work with slabs! I love the wheel and it's associated finish work, but have never truly enjoyed real handbuilding. The pocket vases are gorgeous!

DirtKicker Pottery said...

I like that vase a lot. I would love to have a slab roller. I've been keeping an eye on craigslist in hopes of finding a good used one.

Anonymous said...

nice wall vases... love all the stamping