Wednesday, June 19, 2013

The keeper of the butter

Mark and I are always full of ideas that we float back and forth with one another.
Not that we always agree on the implementation of the idea.
We have some amazingly wicked disagreements in the studio as we toss things at one another, like butter on a hot day.
But, when we walk away from the studio we work hard at not taking those disagreements home with us.
This is probably why we can work together and stay married.
Leave work at the door, like muddy boots, best left outside the house.

One of the latest of the ideas was to bring back the "keeper of the butter".
We have one of these that we kept from  many years ago that sits on the counter all year round with butter inside.
It is probably more of a challenge in the summer, but you can just pop it in the refrigerator if you don't like it to stay out. The other thing we do is cut the stick of butter in half that way you don't have so much sitting out at a time.
We love that when you want butter it is at the ready.
Do we use gobs of butter?
No, but we have always preferred it over, its strange and once removed cousin, margarine, what is really in that stuff anyway?
   This one is all fancy with its combed lid and glass.

A little more down to earth, nice and neutral in color.

I am waiting for a kiln to finish firing and it gives me some time to wander around the yard and see what is going on.
I planted these nasturtiums this year. They are very happy with the cool, wet spring we have been having.
Last year the ones I planted just gave up, they were miserable,spindly shadows of these.
I enjoy planting flowers but I don't enjoy when they are unhappy.

I also moved some daylilies that had become shaded by a tree and were no longer blooming.
It has been so long that I forgot what I bought.
When they bloomed I thought, "well, of course".
They are deep with reds and I seem to roll that way.

It is also a dwarf variety.
Look at that face, so sweet.

Now to catch up with some chickens that I am looking after.
Back to read some blogs and leave my 2 cents worth later.
M

15 comments:

Lori Buff said...

I make a french butter keeper that works really well and is a very good seller. I'm for making the butter keepers.

ang design said...

Hmmm studio confrontations I only have myself to blame :P glad yr keep in it full m...I'm one of those darstadly marg eaters it has to be sunflower tho ;)

ang design said...

Dang I wrote FUN not full...crappy autocorrect

cookingwithgas said...

Oh, we are full of fun around here!
Yes, I know not very one can eat butter...

Michèle Hastings said...

I am with you on butter... nothing compares to the real thing!

smartcat said...

Your butter dishes look so cool. I like the colors...a lot! The round shape is handy for so many things...a chunk of cream cheese, brie coming up to room temp....etc.
I always use butter, but my mother, for some reason, was a great believer in margarine. I can remember when we lived in Ohio (dairy country? 1947?) butter came in a sealed bag with a yellow dye capsule the purchaser had to knead in to have a yellow spread. To the delight of my younger brother and me our 'big brother' used to bounce it off the walls and ceiling.....until the day the bag broke. My mother was not amused!
I haven't made these in ages.....hmmmm!

Claudia from Idiot's Kitchen said...

Ooh, love that little touch of green on the top of the butter keeper. Did I ever ask you if you make garlic jars?

Love the lily! I have one that is very dark reddish purple. I'm amazed that it is still hanging in there since none of the other day lilies made it through their first Florida summer.

Dennis Allen said...

Nice that you have that long commute home to give you some decompression time!

cookingwithgas said...

smartcat--I have cleaned butter from a wall, I was young and we were first married and it was easy to throw. I missed him, but hit the wall.

Claudia- yes I can make you a garlic jar- what size are you looking for?

Dennis- it is a good thing we have that walk....one of us might be doing time without it.
Mark tells anyone who will listen if he had killed me when we first married he would be out by now...he's kidding folks! I hope...
Yes, it's all about the butter.

Gary's third pottery blog said...

people tell me nasturtiums are easy to grow, and I wish they were for me! sooo pretty

Linda Starr said...

I'm with you, not sure what margarine is or ever was.

Tracey Broome said...

I really don't know how you and Mark do it! Gerry and I would fire each other if we worked together, haha!

Unknown said...

Lovely butter dishes...I am surprised by how many people request them, so I keep them in stock. I sell them as butter or cheese dishes, as SmartCat mentioned.
PS. I ditto what Tracey says ;)

cookingwithgas said...

We are known to fire one another or quit now and again and then we remember there is no one else offering us a job.

Unknown said...

Are you looking for ceramic butter crock or butter dish, BRT Ceramic is the best online store to find latest designer ceramic kitchen items
Ceramic butter crock