Friday, December 20, 2013

days have feet

I can feel my days running away from me this past week as Mark and I are working other things besides pottery.
I know that the perception is that we breath, eat, dream clay on a 7 day a week, 24 hours a day schedule. I can say that maybe early on we did.
What we do is like any other job in that you need time to do other things. Don't gasp, it is a job. We work very hard at what we do most of the year. We give up other things that we would like to do in order to finish the process from start to finish. It is work folks, yes, it is work and there is a point you need a vacation.
the start of 2013
If for no other reason than to clean your house, see a friend, ( thanks Tracey!), do your own Christmas shopping, bake a little, spend countless valuable hours surfing the web, read, drink a glass of wine, make dinner for someone who has fed you a time or two over the past year. You know those things that make us feel as if what we do has a value other than worrying about the how, when or where of a deadline.
March firing 2013
At the end of the pottery year we like to look back and see what worked, what did not and what we need to do different for the coming year. Isn't this what we all do? We look back at the past year and wonder if we could do it better. In fact we start making deals that we can.
April firing 2013

We promise ourselves that we will lose weight, eat better, exercise, get more sleep, call our families more often, see a friend, dance more, laugh more love more. Promise, promise promise.
When many days it is the best we can do to get from point a to point b.

June 2013
My only promise to you is when the holidays are over and we return to our respective  places in the studio we will keep you up to date on what we are doing. This is about the only thing you can hold me to.

August 2013
 Promise?
Promise.
M

For more pictures just keep going backwards....

7 comments:

Dennis Allen said...

I think mine have wings.Have a great Christmas.

Patricia Griffin Ceramics said...

It's been great following your studio updates and I'm glad that you're promising to keep it up in 2014... Did I just say 2014! Holy cow! How did that happen already???!!!

cookingwithgas said...

dennis, wings... I am with you on that. Merry Christmas.

cookingwithgas said...

2014, and I thought 2013 was something, then I got use to it. I hate to see it go- but there are new adventures coming.

Linda Starr said...

oh those overlapped black and blue pieces at the top are beautiful; I can't believe we've been in our motorhome for seven months, but then again I can ugh.

Lori Buff said...

I'm with Dennis. Merry Christmas.

cookingwithgas said...

I with him too! Let's all take off some time off.