Thursday, April 24, 2014

glue and goo.

About those glues.
Gluing anything can be a challenge, much less gluing wood to tile.
When I first started this I used liquid nail. Just the straight up stuff and it worked.
Glue, weight, wait, hang.
Then one day I did this and it would not stay.
Glue, weight, wait, hang, un-glue, I would find the tiles hanging by just one side.

I looked for another product to use.
I went to gorilla glue.
Anyone who has worked with gorilla glue knows how tedious it can be.
It expands and when it expands it is messy.
I was spending way too much time on the messy part of this, even though the glue worked well.
 In fact, it worked great, but I hated the mess of working with it.
I found a liquid nail, small projects, clear, that worked even better.
All I had to do was clean, set, weight, and they were done.
No fuss, no mess.
We were golden.
Until 2 weeks ago when I ran out.

I looked high and low for what I had been using. Then out of desperation I bought the ones in the last post.
What turned out to work for me was the liquid nail that was white and also labeled for small projects and home repairs.
I felt that it worked more like a product for setting tile.
What it reminded me of was using a tile setting products such as thin set. I like it, but it is a tad fussy until it sets up.
The other one I bought I found smelly and messy.
I might use that one for smaller projects, but for the tiles I liked the liquid nail better.

I know that this is all subject to change.
New and improved!
Better!
Environmentally friendly.
Nothing stays the same.
Is there a better way?
I am wondering that as well.
When I make tiles mine are more the thickness of commercial tiles.
 I don't like the cut on the back to hang them on a nail, I just never felt that method was all that stable.
I like bring them out from the wall and giving them a good solid place to hang.



About the goo.
We are helping with the girls when we can.
I like to think that baby loving is a top priority.
They are growing fast, like spring wild flowers.


9 comments:

Gary's third pottery blog said...

STUNNING tiles :) and BABIES, just in time for spring and mothers' day :)

Lori Buff said...

That sounds like a lot of challenge. Thanks for letting us know what worked and what didn't work.

The tiles are beautiful.

Michèle Hastings said...

I agree that the slot in the back just seems a little scary for hanging.
There is a NH tile maker that makes frames for his tiles. They look very nice, but that's not for everyone either.
...and those babies!!!!! it must be hard not to be there every second.

Sandy Miller said...

How did I miss the baby post below???? Oh my gosh, amazing!!!!

of goo and glue........ I used E6000 for years then for some odd reason I switched to a 2 part epoxy a couple years ago, it was supposed to be better. All was well until last summer. The heat and humidity, stuff started sweating, not just me! Every single weld let go! I'm back to E6000, as I never had the problem with E6000 even in the same conditions. Still have a couple things hanging in the wall I glued 15 years ago. Good Luck!!

Sandy Miller said...

Oh and the tile are just beautiful...... :)
but the babies!!

cookingwithgas said...

yep, those babies are stealing the show.
Thanks for the information on glues that you all use. I know that there are times that you can get a bad one, but all the changing things has me pulling hair.
Babies and spring just seem right.

Peter said...

Glue, tile, and babies is a fascinating combination! Hope that the kiln opening goes really well. I loved the product endorsement that you have from a French Impressionist "Wow this is really good stuff!" with Google translate becomes "Wow c'est vraiment bonnes choses!" which sounds quite classy! Hope you get some warm spring weather! P

cookingwithgas said...

Thanks Peter!
"Wow c'est vraiment bonnes choses!"

Claudia from Idiot's Kitchen said...

I love your giraffe tiles. Congrats on the babes too!