This time I asked him to turn it on as I was leaving and make sure we vented the hot wax out of the kiln before dropping the lid. We use hot wax, or paraffin to coat the bottom of the pots before they are glazed. It keeps most of the glaze off the bottoms and what is left can be easily sponged off.
Then shut the lid.
Then I slowly let the kiln cool.
350.... I started opening the lid, 325, open more 300 degrees I opened the whole lid and let thing cool to around 200 degrees.
I did lose a few pieces, such as the one at the top of the post, and 2 more that were the same combination.
I lost a few pots to the clay sticking to the top shelf. That was more my own fault for using an older shelf and not applying a fresh coat of kiln wash.
But, all in all the black glaze, with the top glaze that we have been working to salvage for over a year, worked. It melted, stayed on the pots and over all we like the results. Here's what we think happened, the kiln stalled when one of the thermocouples failed. We looked back to find out when we bought this kiln and turns out we bought it almost 8 years ago. So yep, time to do a little maintenance. After which another fire to see if we can replicate the results.
It could have been worse, so much worse, I feel very lucky.
Remember when you are firing that computers can fail, your eyes are the best source to see that your kiln has finished it's job.