Monday, October 15, 2018

Looking for Rainbows

We have now been through the middle of 2 hurricanes that came through our area. The first one bought us buckets of rain, the second one brought in the wonders of wind.
One of the granddaughters asked me why we had a hurricane, do we need them? I thought about that and my thoughts are no, we don't need them, but we have no control over them.
They are nature making its own path, cutting rivers where there should be none, moving sand, making change.
 It has been devastating for many folks who have lost all that they have in the world.
How do you come back?
I worry that some of them never will.
I hope after this last storm that we have a break coming for the many that need to start over.
We are once again cleaning up debris, cutting and dumping the small trees that came down.
It has tossed us into the land of behind, behind on everything.
I sometimes think I should just let this year rest, put it to bed and let it wake up slowly next year.
We are working when we can, as we can, and if you need us we are here.


 Share a little love today, tell someone you care.

5 comments:

Peter said...

Dear Meredith,
So sad that you have had such a bad time of it. From this distance in NZ I didn't quite grasp how far those hurricanes had moved through the USA.

Nature can upset us in a very deep way when these really big events happen. In recent years in NZ we had the Canterbury Earthquakes that just went on and on with months of aftershocks. We had many people from the worse hit areas move South to our area to seek refuge and respite from it all, or holiday here just so their children could get some sleep at night. I think people often cope well and bravely with one or two events, but when the thing keeps coming back and back, then it is so very difficult to keep picking up again. In the case of repeated earthquakes and aftershocks there is a fundamental loss of faith in the ground itself to be solid and reliable. It must be like that when you are battered so often with weather systems that have become unstoppable monsters.
My heart goes out to you as you clear up and try to catch up.
Love to you all the way from NZ,
Peter xxx

Judy Shreve said...

Weather is definitely more intense these days it seems. And I can't imaging what it must be like to lose everything. I read a quote yesterday from Mexico Beach in the Florida panhandle - they don't have homes, water, bathrooms, power, food - they have nothing left. WOW.
Wish we could stop these huge storms. Hope you guys are back to normal -- and stay that way!
Thinking of you --

cookingwithgas said...

We are in such good shape compared to many. many others. It is heartbreaking.
2 storms so close together have made me jumpy and brought on some bad dreams. Off to work on tiles, my zen.

Barbara Rogers said...

I'm sorry you've been hit from both storms, and had to do all that cleanup without elec for a while too! Yes, we can always compare ourselves to others, but I try to avoid that...my gratitude list is so long I don't want to tack that onto it. Knowing you, (here in bloglland) and having one of your tiles is certainly on my list. It sits in my bathroom where I see it over the counter each time I brush teeth, take pills, or wash my hands. I love it more each time, and remember choosing it in your shop.

cookingwithgas said...

Barbara, how kind of you! Thank you, that helps move me forward.