Saturday, December 8, 2018

It starts with paper

Where does something start for you?
For me sometimes it starts with a piece of blank paper that just begs me to put something on it. The paper is usually just some scrap of paper that could be sitting there, maybe even waiting for someone to toss it in the trash or recycle. I look at it and find a pencil.
I come from a long line of doodlers. My parents, my siblings. I find that I listen better if I have that pencil and paper.
When I use to sit on boards people thought I took long notes. My notes were short, it was the empty margins that  held my back of the brain thoughts.
I can hear you better if that voice is busy.
What I am finding out now that I am 10 years into tiles that the doodles are finding their way onto clay.
I draw them, then figure out how I want to put them on.
Playing first on paper helps me work out the design.

 I don't always worry about fitting the design on just right. I like them off set a bit.
As I work I think that maybe I should stick to just one thing, but the back of the brain wants to explore what happens if I do this or that.
There are times I draw on the tile in pencil and can look at it and think, naw, no,nope, just don't like it. Sometimes I set it aside and go back the next day. If I go back and still don't like it, I can erase it.
 Then wipe it down and start on it again with something new.
If I make a real mess of it, I place it back in the bisque pile.


These are ready for some background glaze and then over to fire.
Fingers crossed.
I hope for the best.
Cheers, just waiting for the snow tomorrow.
M

2 comments:

smartcat said...

I always enjoy seeing creatives processes. Now I am looking forward to the finished project. Really like your style.
I am a blank book nut case. I have them in all shapes and sizes. They are invaluable tool when I am working out majolica decoration.

cookingwithgas said...

Good morning. I have a hard time with pretty books of blank paper. Recently I have made myself use them. I am terrible about saving the backs of envelopes, even splitting them open to draw inside...napkins are just not safe with me, paper towels can be in danger as well.