Monday, December 10, 2018

So close......

 The kiln should be cool enough to open all the way to get pots and tiles unloaded, but it was snow, rain, ice yesterday. Then snow today.
For the moment I am staying put in the house.
If it feels safe to make the walk over to the kiln I will do that later.
I did that yesterday only to be greeted with an icy pine branch that cracked and came crashing down just a few feet from where I was. I heard it, stopped and then watched as it came down just a little too close. This, I thought, is how people get killed walking out in an ice storm.
It did not take me long to go back to the house. 
 We spent last night listening to the crack and fall of limbs.
Maybe today we can take count of the damages around us.
 Stay safe and warm today, tomorrow is another day.



8 comments:

Barbara Rogers said...

Love the silhouettes of the animals against the snow! Yay you, missing getting bonked by that branch. Pine is so tender in ice. Yes, stay safe and live to pot another day! Our's may melt a bit today, then of course freeze tonight. Lovely to look at now, from windows!

Laurie said...

It sounds like Seagrove got more ice than us. I think we mostly got rain all yesterday, so must have been just enough warmer here to make the difference. Snowing all morning here. The pups nor I have ventured out yet. Hope you're staying warm and safe there too.

cookingwithgas said...

Be safe Barbara! I did go feed my neighbor's cat. It was not too bad around 1 pm, safe enough to go feed the cat for them. Yes, those pine do not like ice.

cookingwithgas said...

I think we did get more than you did. I will be happy as soon as this is gone. Things are so wet!

smartcat said...

Your weather is worse than ours! Strange. We have had cold but mostly clear skies. It’s a relief after weeks of clouds and rain.
Stay safe and warm.
Looking forward to firing results.

Michèle Hastings said...

I went out into the yard once on Sunday to check out a crash that sounded close to the house, like you I saw a big limb fall and decided it wasn't safe. It was hard to gauge the snow total from the house, but while loading the kiln last night we realized it may have been close to 6"... with most of it falling Monday morning. Glad it will be gone soon!

cookingwithgas said...

Suzie, I would happily pack this up and ship it to you. This is too soon in my book.
I am already looking forward to our warm southern winter days and nights!

cookingwithgas said...

Oh, Michele, I am with you that is too close, best to stay put when those limbs are coming down. They are not called widow makers for no good reason.