Wednesday, February 20, 2019

Someone is working




 I keep telling you all that I am working on tiles but it is slow going with days spent at the college. The weeks are flying past me as I fill in for them while they are looking for the right person for the job.
 Meanwhile, there are things that need to be worked on here as well.
Taxes, housework, baking, cleaning, you know all those things that make life work.
 That cleaning thing, it has to happen.
I always look at what I can do in 10 or 15 minutes.
That few minutes makes all the difference for some things, just a lick and a promise.

It seems when I get busy elsewhere I am drawn back to the kitchen here.
I am not sure why but if I cannot make pottery I bake.
It also centers me.
I do like decent bread and Mark and I both like good granola that is not filled with a lot of sugar.
I have posted the recipe before but if you like:
preheat oven to 275- I have jumped the temperature up by 25 degrees.
I usually put 4 cups of good oats in a big handmade bowl.
Then I rough chop 2 cups of nuts, such as walnuts, almonds, cashews or pecans, you get to choose.
I then add roasted sunflower seeds salted or unsalted.
I like Cinnamon and a bit of salt depending on the sunflower seeds.
Toss this all.
Wet- I start with oil, 1/4 cup, on top of that I add honey, maple syrup and a bit hit of molasses up to 3/4 cup mark on a measuring cup, plus 1 TBS Vanilla
See- do what you like.
beat all the wet to a smooth mass, pour over the dry and mix well.
Pour this into a large cookie sheet with sides, cook 15, stir, cook 10-12, stir and add dried fruit.
We like a mix of raisins and craisins.
Stir those in, turn down heat to 250, heat 5-6 minutes.
Cool and store.

Meredith's Granola
275 degrees
4 cups good oats
2 cups of nuts
2 tsp cinnamon
a toss of salt
Mix together:
1/4 cup oil
honey, maple,molasses to 3/4 cup, plus 1 TBS vanilla
 1 cup fruit raisins and craisins
Bake 275 for 15, stir, bake 10-12 stir add fruit, bake at 250 for 5-6
Cool and eat.

Cheers folks!
M








5 comments:

smartcat said...

This is my go to granola recipe! Last time I added more fruit and a bit less sugar. Delicious!

Michèle Hastings said...

I really should make your granola recipe. It would be great for breakfast as well as an afternoon snack.

cookingwithgas said...

It's so easy to make and keep on hand. We like it for breakfast with good yogurt. Or sometimes as a late day snack.
I do love mixing it up and using what I have, as long as you have oats it's a go!

Michèle Hastings said...

I made the granola last week and it's awesome! Jeff and I both enjoy it and I think it's going to become a staple in the house. I think my favorite way to eat it is to slice a banana into a bowl and sprinkle the granola over the top. YUM!

cookingwithgas said...

Thanks MH! It's really good with blueberries as well! Enjoy!