Tuesday, February 25, 2020

There goes Febuaury

 Here we go just flying into March, I can not tell you where the days go. We use to make pottery and raise kids, a few animals, garden, and all. Now I think about living in an apartment and walking everywhere.
I think about it and I wonder if I would quickly become bored.
We voted yesterday, I have always voted, I was brought up knowing that it is important to vote.
Do your research, read, study and go vote.

I just took out a batch of salt jars, pigs, containers, does a jar need a lid? out of the last kiln firing, I love using mine and noticed last Christmas that all of them were gone. I made some for the gas kiln as well. I'll post when we have those out.
I am working on a tile sign for a customer. I am so slow that they check with me now and again to see if I am still breathing.
Next up for the time is the glazing.





I have been thinking about making some Biscotti and thought I need to look at the recipe shared with me by a fellow potter. We love this one but it does have butter. I think I am going to look for one with oil, more traditional. I would love to get them nice and crispy. Any one have one they love?


Biscotti
Base recipe:
1 Cup Sugar
1 stick butter
2 eggs or 4 egg yolks  ( I use 2 eggs)
1/4 cup milk or liquer
3 cups flour sifted
2 TBSP. baking powder

Preheat oven to 375
cream sugar and butter add eggs one at a time.
add milk
add dry ingredients.
Shape into a wide log on baking sheet that has been lightly greased and floured. ( or use parchment paper)
Bake- 20 minutes or until golden brown
turn oven down to 300
Remove, cool slightly and cut into slices.
Return to oven for 10-20 minutes
depending how crunchy you like them.

Our favorite variation:
decrease sugar by 1/4 cup and add 1/2 cup maple syrup
1tsp. vanilla
1/4 cup orange liqueur
 1/2 cup toasted pecans
cranraisins if you like. 


Keep dry, I would love more sunshine if you can spare a little
M

7 comments:

Michèle Hastings said...

I don't have a biscotti recipe but that tile is going to be gorgeous! I can appreciate the time it's taking. Jeff and I made one for ourselves and it was very time consuming. We did ours in one long piece... I like the idea of it in sections.

Laurie said...

I had thought that unaffiliated voters could not vote in primaries, but after just researching, learned that we can in this one, within some parameters. Apparently it varies each election. Good to know! The tiles look gorgeous. Never knew that two l's was an acceptable spelling for tranquillity. It's a good day when one can learn new things!

Barbara Rogers said...

Apartment living just means skipping some of the chores (and enjoyment if you will) of having property, and the maintenance of buildings. It also helps when you want someone to take care of the plumbing. I love renting for those reasons. I love how my time is taken up by other things, and I still never get everything done!

Meredith said...

The tile is taking some time! Or I am a little lazy.

Meredith said...

Laurie- We are party register for the reason that at one time you could not vote in the primaries. Some of those rules have changed. I see your Vote sicker coming soon!
The spelling, yes this is the old spelling, they wanted it with the 2 L's I am not here to argue so 2 it is. I wondered if anyone would notice.

Meredith said...

Barbara, maybe one day we will not have such a long road to take care of.

Sandy Miller said...

This biscotti recipe sounds so delish! Sent gingerbread biscotti off to my kiddos for Feb. it’s such a treat as I haven’t found an oil recipe I like yet. Might be a fun challenge next winter! We vote in two weeks..... lots on the ballot up here, don’t I’ve ever missed voting, not even the small stuff. I was raised that way too. Can’t wait to see that tile order! Keep breathing ☺️