Wednesday, June 30, 2010

The big gulp!

It is sometimes hard to gauge size when you are looking at pictures on the blogs.
But this mug was made for a customer who requested a big mug.
Mark used 2 1/2 pounds of clay.
It is a big mug!
I hope the customer is happy with the size.
He wanted big- this is big.


We had rain!
And the temperature went down and with the rain the humidity is down as well.
Oh my gosh it feels great not to feel like we are all baking every time we walked out the door.
This feels so good.
It will also be good for the blueberries too.
They started coming in early because it has been so hot.
But they really needed this rain to make the berries plump up.
I have some to pick now, but by tomorrow I will be picking a bunch.
I love to freeze them and then take out what I need through the winter months.
I toss them on my morning cereal or we make a crisp to enjoy in January.
Of course we need one for the summer months as well.
I just fill one of our pie plates with berries, sprinkle with cinnamon and then top with:
1/2 cup oats
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup brown sugar ( some thing call for the real stuff)
1/2 cup butter
make this into a crumb, pile it on top of the berries ( which I don't sweeten- I like that tart and sweet taste)
Bake at 350 for at least 45 minutes.
I love to go longer and get the berries good and bubbly with the top nice and brown.
You can eat this pretty much right after it is done, but we like it best completely cooled, or even the next day.
Spoon in bowl and have some whipped cream or ice cream to top it all.
Yum!

10 comments:

Linda Starr said...

Yummy, big and blue too.

Lee Lewis said...

I want one of those mugs!!!

T.Gray said...

We only have one blueberry bush, for now, and they matured about 2 weeks ago. Between me and the flying chickens, they're all gone now!

Laurie said...

Yum is right! If I get enough blueberries at one time, I'm going to try this!

cookingwithgas said...

Lee- you need to talk to your BIL!
Tom and laurie-email me about coming over to pick.
I am happy to share!

Shortstuff said...

I'm jealous. I have two tiny blueberry bushes and the deer ate all my berries. I'm gonna make me some bambi burger yet. Now where did I park that blunderbuss?

Cynthia said...

Blueberry picking reminds me of summers spent on my aunt & uncles farm in MN. Love a big mug myself....

Kim Hines said...

meredith you're killing me! blueberries! yet another thing to add to the list. i used to go out and pick literally buckets full of them. freeze some, can some, jam, pies, muffins, and yes crisp. here they're something like $9lb. maybe $5 in season. after picking bucket loads for free i just can't pay that much for them, and they taste like, well, not good. this year i finally bought a few plants to put in pots on my patio, one has survived after a typical late cold snap we had. so go ahead and rub it in w/ your next post when all those berries are ripe! ;)

ang design said...

2 1/2 lbs thats a monster mug!!

Michael Mahan said...

It's a handsome monster, though.