Friday, April 15, 2011

Lemon Cookies or Don't turn your back on me cookies.

You know- you try.

Yesterday was baking cookies for the kiln opening this week-end and I thought I would make some Lemon cookies. I have made these before.
Simple recipe- in fact I will pass it on to you.
Just because I love company in my misery

Basic Cookie Mix for Lemon Cookies:
4 cups sifted flour- I use cake flour
4 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups dry milk powder
1 1/2 TBS baking powder
1 1/2 tsp. salt


Place all your ingredients in a large bowl and mix very well.
Store in a tightly covered container and this will keep up to one month.

To make the cookies:
2 Cups of the base
 1/2 cup melted butter
1 egg beaten
1tsp lemon extract
1TBS lemon juice
1Tbs grated lemon rind, yellow only
Mix this all together and shape into a log by wrapping in wax paper and chill.

Cut into small pieces- I weigh them out on my kitchen scale- just like making balls of clay.
Roll into 1" balls and place them 2 inches apart.
I bake on parchment paper.
350 for 10 minutes- or 12 it says but this is where the trouble came in.
I burned the first round.
Hit the second round and those are beauties.
Then turned my back on the last round- burned.
Little buggers.......

These are in the notes I made:
Batter does best chilled
Don't put too many on a pan
Try not to burn.
Hummm- TRY NOT TO BURN!!!!!! would be better.
Or note make these on days you have nothing else going on and can give complete attention to baking these cookies because if you do not they will come out like sweet, very sweet, hockey pucks , but note that dentist all over the world are cheering you on since you could break teeth on them.

With all this said we will still have some wonderful cookies at the opening.
So come on down and have a few.







8 comments:

Kellie Jensen said...

You are hilarious.I am entertained. :)

Linda Starr said...

Try not to burn, what a hoot, I guess the trick is to watch them closely; they look good.

Judy Shreve said...

Sounds like a delicious cookie -- when not burned! ha -- hope the weekend is a blast! - lots of sales with good weather and good friends! -- oh and good cookies!

Tracey Broome said...

Maybe I'll come down and eat your cookies since my show looks like a rain event! I am the worst cookie baker ever, I have resorted to the freezer variety....

Gary's third pottery blog said...

Georges is like !!!!

cookingwithgas said...

Tracey- come eat cookies and Kellie- you know where we are.
I went ahead and made a second batch of another cookie that does not need as much attention.
I don't buy clothes that say hand wash- why do I need a hand wash cookie??

Julia said...

I will be thinking of you from across the country and eating cookies (possibly burned) in a show of support. :)

cookingwithgas said...

Julia-I always knew I could count on you.
Cheers to the burnt offerings!