Monday, October 14, 2013

Roof

 Between pots last week Mark was the guy on roof duty.
One of the things we know here is when to let the right person deal with the right job.
I don't mind one bit stepping  back and having Mark take the lead on workmen.
Not one bit.
I tried to stay out of the way on this one.

You also never know how much real dirt is in your house until people start hammering away and knocking it all down on the floor.

 The best part about a new roof is these folks want to get in, get the job done and move on to the next one.
It is a mess for about 3 days, then they are gone.
And, you are happy for the quiet.

I have not taken any pictures of the finished roof yet.
I have been enjoying just looking at it.

After tree people and then roofers I am ready to go back to a normal, dull routine.

We are working up the last of the pots for the next kiln load and if we can get it all dried and through the bisque kiln I see glazing coming our way next week.


The other thing I see in my near future is my feet up and a possible cold cider.
More on pots coming up.
Stay tune, we really are here and working.



16 comments:

Dennis Allen said...

One step closer to ready for winter.

Shortstuff said...

JEALOUS!! I'm so jealous. We're still waiting for the contractor to get firm dates from the roofers. We were sooo hoping it would get done while we were in Nashville.Alas all that gone done was rain!

cookingwithgas said...

it feels so sung in here with that new roof.
Leslie- yours will be will be as wonderful- get them on it asap!

Lori Buff said...

You love to see them arrive and you love to see them leave.

cookingwithgas said...

Lori, that is the truth.

smalltownme said...

Roofing does get done quickly. That is nice.

Peter said...

Are those wooden shingles? I can't quite make them out from this distance... :) Most buildings in this part of the world (NZ) use roofing iron, with very occasional examples in other materials, such as imported slate or clay tiles.

Gary's third pottery blog said...

dang, I know, the disruption...!

Sandy Miller said...

My tree guy just left........ Renting the log splitter on Sat. Happy to have the wood but yikes the mess!

Gail said...

I almost asked yesterday if the roof was done yet. Glad it is done and do enjoy it...but make sure that firing gets done so you can glaze and fire again and have lots of pottery done for when I get there.

cookingwithgas said...

Yes, they were quick- which is good.
No Peter, not wood- here in the south they would rot too quick and the termites would love them. Asphalt, I think.
Sandy- it can be such a mess and Gary- yes big disruption.
Gail- come on anytime, we have pots!

Tracey Broome said...

Ugh, we just spent the last of my hard earned $$ on a new roof for our porch, having to do a little at a time..... It took forever to get them here, roofers are busy folks, I am in the wrong business!

Alex Solla said...

I am always amazed when anyone works on a roof, much less a potter. Scares the crap out of me.

Judy Shreve said...

YAY - a new roof! I agree - that is one of the nosiest jobs ever. And afterwards all the pictures in your house are askew - those guys definitely bang hard to put a new roof on.
Happy firing!

Claudia from Idiot's Kitchen said...

I still walk outside and gaze lovingly at our new roof. Money very well spent to keep it from raining into the kitchen. Still, all that banging and pounding. Oy.

Unknown said...

That roof looks great, it really matches the color of the wall and looks like a dream, my husband and I would definitely not say no to living in their. You guys are very blessed indeed to have such a wonderful home. There is always so much to do when you have a home that is as beautiful as that.

Pleasance Faast @ Shelton Roof