Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Oh honey bee, be mine

 Yesterday was honey pot day for me and as I working on the numbers I thought about how we don't always count the lids in our numbers.
 If someone asks you how many pots did you make today, you will tell them I made 15 honey pots. Now, if we are counting the lids as a separate item then if you made 15 bodies and 15 lids in my book of math that is 30 pieces. 
So, I am counting those lids since they were made right along with the honey pots. They are just as important as the bodies, let's stand up for the little guys!

I have tucked away the honey pots with thoughts of making at least another 15. I am still in wonder at a item that has come back into favor along with local honey.
I am a big fan of honey and have been a big fan for many years. I use to make some of my jams with honey. The best tasting was a honey and peach jam. I might have to try that again.
Of course back then honey was not as expensive as it is now.

There was a day several years back when I had a bee keeper come in the shop to ask me if I would sell honey for him. It was local and looked great. He was having a hard time getting anyone to buy it at that time. I asked him how much he need. He asked for 2.00 a pint jar.  I took a case and never did sell it, I tucked it away in my pantry and used every jar.
The other day I bought a jar at the Seagrove Hardware for 10.00. Good increase on the price of honey for the local bee keepers. I hope that by supporting them it keeps them in business.

  Mark is still adding to the mug count, while I am working those honey pots and bowls.

We have some cold days coming this week, possibly a good time to get these all dry and ready for a bisque firing.
Stay warm, I suggest you indulge in some good hot tea with a nice dollop of honey.
Oh, so good.

drying tiles ever so slowly.......

8 comments:

Dennis Allen said...

I'm always perplexed that people want lids on casseroles but can't understand that the lid is a separate pot that requires a gallery on the base, one to three more handles and someone
( the customer ) needs to pay for the extra work.P.S. I'm not a robot, I'm not! Why do you keep asking !

cookingwithgas said...

I believe you- I am not one either! But there are days I think I am.

DirtKicker Pottery said...

Love your honey pots. I love making honey pots and usually make a few more lids than I need, just in case. We also buy local honey. It's amazing how much it helps us with season allergies.

cookingwithgas said...

I should make extra lids, but I like living on the edge...Thanks!

Michèle Hastings said...

Once you've tasted local honey you never want to use that crap from the grocery store!
Jeff does the extra lid thing too, I rarely do.

Gary's third pottery blog said...

I know, cold weather around the studio certainly makes ME glad to fire up the kiln :)

cookingwithgas said...

It was a three dog night!

Claudia from Idiot's Kitchen said...

As a proud owner of one of your honeypots, I can attest to the fact that the pot AND the lid are works of art. Everyone always comments on how well the lid fits. I love it every day when I use it!